- This event has passed.
Modernizing Europe’s Rules for Digital Services
November 20, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 10:30 am
For the past two decades, the eCommerce Directive has set the rules of the road for digital platforms and services. However, concerns about issues such as hate speech and disinformation have spurred calls for the Commission to rethink these policies. In particular, the Commission’s policy agenda includes the Digital Services Act, which would set out new liability and safety rules for digital platforms and services. As EU policymakers are planning to update policies that set the basic rules for Internet firms, it is important to understand the repercussions such changes could have on the EU economy.
Join the Center for Data Innovation to discuss how the EU should modernize the eCommerce Directive so as to protect consumers without unnecessarily hindering innovation.
- Prabhat Agarwal, Deputy Head of Unit, Online Platforms and eCommerce at DG Connect
- Bruno Basalisco, Managing Economist at Copenhagen Economics
- Eline Chivot, Senior Policy Analyst at Center for Data Innovation
- Ania Helseth, Public Policy Manager EU Affairs at Facebook
- Lenard Koschwitz, Senior Director, Global Public Policy at Allied For Startups